Tuesday 1 September
https://www.bibbulmuntrack.org.au/
Darling Range Section of Bibbulmun Track
In
the middle of the night, we had very heavy rain. We were up at 5:15am and away
just after 6:30am. We walked through open forest for a few kilometres before
crossing the Albany Highway. This was followed by natural woodland beside a
Tasmanian Blue Gum plantation.
| Amazing Spider Webs |
| Tasmanian Blue Gum Plantation |
| Boonerring Hill ahead |
On the ascent of the first of the White Horse Hills (Kimberling Hill) there were some granite outcrops. We had lunch at White Horse Hills hut just after midday. I iced and elevated my feet in an attempt to minimise the exercise induced vasculitis I would get from today’s planned long hike.
Leaving White Horse Hills there were granite boulders and domes with fields of white flowers. The views from the southern granite dome were stunning. It was a steep descent followed by gentle walking through open forest. We had two Red-tailed Black-Cockatoos swoop quite low over us. The ascent to Mt Wells starts gently and then became much steeper. I really enjoyed the climb, as it got my heart rate up. I found the forest here very pretty, particularly the understory of palms and small acacias.
We arrived in camp about 5:20pm, tired but happy.
There
was one other End to Ender and two section hikers in the shelter. The shelter
at Mt Wells is a fully enclosed hut where the fire tower watchmen previously
stayed.
No comments:
Post a Comment