Monday, July 11, 2022

Cooloola Great Walk - Rainbow Beach to Freshwater Campground

 


https://parks.des.qld.gov.au/parks/great-walks-cooloola

Day 1 Statistics

Distance: 27.25km

Total time (including breaks): 9 hours 4 minutes

Total Ascent: 467.2m

Total Descent: 463.7m


This morning we were packed up and on our way before 7am.  As we were choosing to do the extended version of the Cooloola Great Walk, including Double Island Point, today was always going to be a big day.

When crossing Carlo Sandblow, we could see two other multiday hikers ahead of us. At the far side of the sandblow, you are incredibly high above the ocean.  

https://parks.des.qld.gov.au/parks/cooloola/journeys/carlo-sandblow-walk





Then on into the bushland, where I found a few interesting Fungi.









The track emerges onto the Rainbow Beach side of Double Island Point.  The beach here was smoother and wider than I have previously seen it.  The coloured sands were, as always, beautiful.






We climbed up to Double Island Point, where we stopped for lunch. It was quite cool as there was a strong wind blowing.  

https://parks.des.qld.gov.au/parks/cooloola/journeys/double-island-point-lighthouse-walk







Once we got down onto the beach on the Noosa North Shore side of Double Island Point, we discovered the wind was very strong.  Walking South along the beach was hard work and very cold.  I had on my jumper even though we were in full sun in the early afternoon.  The beach was also quite narrow here from the erosion, combined with an incoming tide.  Twice I needed to stop to rinse my glasses of salt spray as I could not see where I was going even with my glasses on – not great when you are mixing it with 4WD’s.  According to the Bureau of Meteorology the windspeed got up to 61km/h today – a very solid and tiring headwind.


We set up camp for the night at Freshwater campground. When we arrived, I was done – I did not think I even had the energy for a shower.  However, after a bit of food and setting up the tent, I felt up to a nice hot shower (worth carrying a $2coin for).  As predicted, it was a big day!

https://parks.des.qld.gov.au/parks/cooloola/camping/freshwater

No comments:

Post a Comment